Monday, January 25, 2010

Germany, week 2, Monday 1/25/2010

I enter my second week in Germany, and quite frankly, I'm ready to put week one behind me and move on! To say it was a rough week is a bit of an understatement.

I want to say though that I like Germany, I like the people, and I like it here. There are no problems with me and Germany, or me and my lady (never that!). I had a great time on Friday night and Saturday night, hanging out with Kathi and then partying with her friends. But there was some crap that happened this week that just really put a sour note on my first week.

I made a huge mistake about my personal belongings. Turns out I can't ship ANY of it because there was a requirement that I didn't look into that I should have (it was on the PDF that was sent to me, but I didn't read it thoroughly, yeah, hella stupid, I know). Before you can ship personal belonging into Germany, you have to provide proof to customs that you've been in residency for 12 months. Since I obviously moved here only last week, I can't prove this and had to cancel my shipment. Thankfully the company, Safepack, was totally cool about it and didn't charge me a dime for holding my stuff for a week, and they let my buddy come and pick it all up for me. That was really awesome of them. While this was a bit of a setback, because I really wanted my desktop computer and my personal nicknacks and stuff, none of that stuff is crucial to my getting by. I brought my main hard drive with me on the plane, which has all my stuff on it, and that was as close to something I HAD to have as anything else. Everything else was on the "I want it" list not the "I have to have it" list. Still sucks, but hey, no worries. I accept that I made a mistake and I'll move on!

Also had something else go down that I don't really want to get into, but it put a real drain on me. Funny how much other people can bring you down, you know? I'm just glad that I know how to fight back from letting it drag me under. Everyone gets upset and can feel sad\depressed, especially when arguments happen, but what I tell myself when this happens, or anything bad really, I learned from a movie (some of you will know it :-)... "why do we fall down? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up". You can choose to stay on the ground and cry... or you can stand up, brush off the dirt, clean your wounds, and move on... and most importantly, learn to never let that incident knock you down again. Life is pain and pain is life, so learn how to deal with pain so that you can deal with MORE pain. You'll only be more stronger for it.

Coming to Germany has only solidified in my mind the things I've been trying to be better at. Don't run from challenges, face them. Continue to learn and grow and become better every day. Face the mountain and win because I refuse to give up, to lose. And I tell you that meeting these demands I've placed on myself is so much easier with Kathi by my side. She is such a source of inspiration for me. The old saying "behind every good man is a good woman" is so true, since I can now see it and believe it for myself. Kathi, I love you baby!

OK, enough blogging and on to some of those things I need to be better at :-)

Tschüss!

No comments:

Post a Comment