In just two short days, I, Michael Vincent Custer, am getting MARRIED! It still doesn't seem quite real to me. Not too long ago in my past I had thought that this was just a dream that could never happen to me. But here I am, about to tie the knot with the love of my life, and I couldn't be happier about it!
I used to think that I wasn't destined to be in love, much less married. A few years ago, I probably was at my unhappiest and most depressed. Outwardly, I tried to maintain my happy facade, but inside, I was negative, bitter, unhappy, and very depressed. I remember having days where I couldn't stop saying to myself that I wasn't meant to be in a relationship, how women don't like me, there is something wrong with me and I was never going to be in anything meaningful. Thinking of marriage was like wishing that I could fly just by flapping my arms.
There was a point when I got past the depression and the bitterness, but I still wasn't happy. Not to say I wasn't enjoying my life... I have good friends, loving family, and have been successful in my career. But I was still missing that crucial part of my life... I didn't have love and I felt like I was missing an important piece of the whole puzzle. No matter how I put everything else together, there was a gap that I couldn't fill.
Trying to find love at bars and clubs was obviously not the right way to go. All I ever found there was airheads and wasted time. To my amazement though, love was going to find me where I wasn't looking for it... at work! Yes, Kathi and I are a work place romance gone right :-) It seemed that when I finally stopped looking for someone, when my mind was firmly entrenched in the idea that I wouldn't ever be in love, the perfect women came to me, right when and where I wasn't looking.
Kathi... I've never met anyone like her before. She's the perfect blend of sweet and sassy; she's beautiful but not conceited; so very smart and intelligent, but not cocky and full of herself and always willing to learn more; she's career oriented but has never forgotten how to stop and smell the roses; and the best part, the part that I can never figure out (but will never take for granted), she's totally crazy about me!!!
Having this kind of woman in my life, at my side, has changed me, and all for the good. The leaps and bounds I've taken as a person and as a man, I owe it all to her influence. While she always points out that I'm the one that has made the life changes to grow as I have, I say without any doubt that I owe it all to the inspiration that she gives me. She makes me want to be better than I am... to be all that I can. And I want to do it for her. I don't even really think of it as doing these things for me. I try to be better person so that I can be the best man for her... because she deserves only the best in life. I want to be smarter, richer, healthier, sexier, sweeter... and all so that Kathi can have the best man on her arm, to be as happy as she possibly can be.
I am so ready to take on that challenge. On Thursday, I will take that vow... that I will make Kathi's life the best it can be... that I will do everything in my power to lift her up and let the light shine on her because she deserves no less. I want Kathi to be the happiest woman on the face of the Earth, and I'll stop at nothing to do this for her. I owe Kathi my life and I will give it to her without thinking twice. I love her more than anything in this world and I plan to be at her side until I'm gone from life.
On Thursday, May 20th 2010, I am going to become the happiest man that ever lived because the best woman that has ever come into my life has chosen to be with me. This will be the best day of my life and one that I will never forget.
Katharina Barbara Herkenhoener (soon to be Custer :-), I love you with all my heart and am proud to be your husband and companion for the rest of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment