Monday, March 19, 2012

Dreaming in Deutschland

It seems to have started when I moved to Germany.  Since that time, I have had the most vivid and spectacular dreams.  I don't remember having these kind of dreams growing up or back home, it all seemed to start when I moved.

The dreams that I have... not every night mind you, but often 2 or 3 times a week... are full on, interactive, crazy and strange.  They are literally like movies in my head, or when not more story like, they are like I am there in real life... I often feel like I never actually went to sleep, that I've just continued on to somewhere and am experiencing these dreams like I'm alive and awake.  These dreams are always in vivid colors... I see the green grass, hair and eye color, blue skies, etc.  I can smell things, hear sounds and voices, and can feel touches... I have felt myself grabbed, held, pushed, prodded.  I remember being woke up once because I was jammed in the back, and when I awoke, I felt it in my back, and since I woke up lying on my back, I know that there wasn't like my dog or something that poked me.  I can still remember once being held against my will, restrained in some way, and it woke up me (violently) and I could feel the arms or whatever it was holding me and I thrashed myself up and awake.

I have often dreamed of people and it's like they are literally right there with me.  It's so random who the people are.  Sometimes I know them and they will just be someone randomly from my life that I hadn't thought of or seen in god knows when; sometimes they have been famous people, which I find to be so weird since I'm not one of these people that particularly cares for famous people; and sometimes, they are people I have never seen before ever, just completely made up, but in my dreams, they are real people with full lives and pasts and experiences.  Every now and again, these people will be speaking in other languages... German or Spanish or something I can't recognize.

There have been some dreams that were simply spectacular, where I'm doing things like an action star in a movie... swinging from lines, jumping from buildings, fighting with people using guns, knives, and my fists.  I have had some dreams that I was in war and I could see, hear, and feel explosions and screaming and yelling.  Thankfully this is rare, but I can remember a dream, more of a nightmare, that sickened me because bodies and body parts were being ripped apart, and I could see the flesh tearing and the blood and I was for whatever reason, forced to watch it.  I remember waking up feeling sick to my stomach and scared to go back to sleep.

The dreams go by so fast.  I'll often feel like I just went to sleep, only to wake up and it's almost time to get out of bed.  The whole dream will be like a long action sequence, or one big adventure, or I'm with someone and we're in a movie plot together.  These are ones that often get me the most because I'll wake up without the movie "ending" and I wake up feeling disappointed.

I don't remember having dreams like this back in America.  I don't know why a change of location would activate my brain to start inventing my own movies.  But the fact is, I know that this started for me when I came here and it's been continuing ever since.

More or less, I kind of enjoy it.  Seeing things and experiencing things in such vivid detail often leaves my mind spinning when I wake up.  I only really regret that I can't remember much of the dreams too long after I wake up.  Some of the more extreme and vivid or with just random weird people, I'll remember that I had that dream, but the details almost always 100% fade just mere moments after waking.  When I'm lucky, I will remember them all the way until my shower is done.

Maybe this isn't so strange for some people, but for me, this is just something I still can't get over.  It still feels like a new phenomenon to me and I'm always amazed when I have these dreams.  Maybe they will stop happening some day, but for now, it's an adventure going to sleep and I'll just keep living with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment