Thursday, August 6, 2009

Love when things go good!

A moment of frustration just adds clarity to my situation.

My frustrations have come strictly due to work. Mostly just frustrated because the things that I wanted to happen with this job never panned out. I'm doing work that I'm simply too good for. I don't mean that in the derogatory sense, but in the sense that I've trained and have experience in WAY more than I'm doing. I feel like an experienced, certified mechanic who's stuck doing oil changes at your local 10 minute repair shop.

But again, with frustration comes clarity. If there is one thing that I know, for a FACT, is that I AM A SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR. I am not Helpdesk. I am a Systems Administrator doing Helpdesk work. This week, I've come to realize that my next job, no matter how long it takes, or where, or when, will be with either the title of Systems Administrator or Windows Administrator. No middle ground, no half ways, nothing. Sys Admin or bust.

The only exception to this would be the for the chance to get a sponsored job in Germany. I'd be willing to stay in parallel with my career as it is for the opportunity for a guaranteed job. It's going to be hard enough getting a job, so while I'm certainly applying for, trying for, and gunning for a Systems Administrator job in Germany (which is essentially a promotion to a new job in a new country where I don't speak the language), the realist in me says "take the job that comes your way, get your foot in the door and get over there... THEN you can have some wiggle room to do something else." If time were no factor, I'd only try to get the Sys Admin position, but I miss my girl and I want to get out there already :-) so any job will do, basically!

I have to say though, I'm feeling real good right now because I'm moving in the right directions. Because I've set a goal for myself, I actually have something to look forward to, something that is achievable and I can reach for. Once the decision was made in my mind to move to Germany, my path and my options all seemed to come into focus. I see where my career needs to go, I have plans in motion to get myself out to Germany, and I'm getting things done, and more importantly, getting them done right.

Challenges, problems, frustrations... these things are my teachers and they help me to grow. Without them, I'd never have the opportunity to prove that I can BEAT them! Win your challenges, overcome your problems, and work thru your frustrations. You are only a better person for it... and I'm a better person now for it as well!

What else you got for me life? Think you got a challenge I can't win, bring it on, I dare you!

No comments:

Post a Comment